February 8, 2015

A Little More of Siem Reap

Unfortunately I haven’t had time to sort through the photos to show you more of the temples, but Angkor Wat was saved until last so we presumed it would be the most impressive.  Whether we’re just “all templed out” or not I don’t know, but it didn’t seem as good as some of the others.




I loved this little lady monk with her bottle of Gaviscon


And then some monkeys wrestling in the temple grounds.

Siem Reap town is very nice, bustling but very friendly.  Plenty of shops (mostly tat), a very large market and loads of eateries.  We ate in a Khmer Kitchen one night and had the most fantastic meal for about £4 a head – the first time I’ve ever found a place to be as cheap as people say.  On our leisure day we got a tuk tuk into town and Ian had a 1 ½ hour massage for the huge cost of £6.
Just a few random pictures





Couldn’t resist this one though.  Like the Vietnamese, Cambodian people eat just about everything; they get the most out of every plant or animal possible but the best thing has to be Deep Fried Tarantula.  Being an arachnophobic, I believe this is how all spiders should end up!

One evening we went to a local Apsara centre to watch a display of traditional dancing and once again had a fantastic Khmer meal.


Sadly these blogs haven’t really done Cambodia justice, it is one of the most fantastic, vibrant, friendly places I’ve been to and I really wish I could stay longer in this wonderful country, but now ……………. off to Laos